Dumpling Central: Pelmeni and Vareniki

A friend coming over for lunch requested Cherry Dumplings (vareniki) so I had to oblige. Of course, I couldn't just leave it at that. I wanted to make some Pelmeni (meat dumplings) as well, so I ended up with both.


Pelmeni

Filling
1/3 lb ground pork
1/4 lb ground veal
1/2 fresh onion, pureed
salt
pepper
1 tsp water

Mix and beat until the mass sticks together. Drop teaspoon size portions into dough (circles or squares). Close off the dumplings by pinching sides together with a little water. Play with the shape of the final dumpling based on the initial shape of your dough. Squares become envelopes, circles become semi-circles with "ears" pinched together...or invent a shape of your own.



Comments

Evelina said…
Ira steel some for me :)
Ira said…
they were delicious :)

Popular Posts