Meyer Lemon Macarons with Apricot Passion Fruit Buttercream

I fell in love with macarons while visiting Paris. Lately they started appearing on some local restaurant menus and still very infrequently in stores. For whatever reason I had not tried making them until today, but was inspired when I saw a sad looking box of shattered bright pink ones at Whole Foods. The price was impressive 10 for $10. I mean, seriously? They are meringue. They do take time to make right, but by weight that's more expensive then the 3 year aged Gouda, which is much more work intensive. Strange comparison, but I was trying to make a point.
My version here was based on the recipe from Serious Eats for the meringue, but I also added 1 teaspoon of ground Meyer lemon peel, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla sugar, and a few drops of yellow food coloring. For the creme, 8 tablespoons of butter (room temperature, unsalted), 4 tablespoons of apricot jam, flesh of 1 very ripe passion fruit with seeds and a few drops of red food coloring. Whip all the creme ingredients together. If separated, warm on stove top in a stove proof bowl for 10-15 seconds, and whip vigorously to bring together. Follow the recipe on Serious Eats for baking and assembly. Enjoy the airy, brightly colored fruits of your labor!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have eaten these and they are to die for, waiting for the next time...

Popular Posts